Friday, January 27, 2012

Is the racial term "Black" offensive to people of African decent?

As a black person, not to me, I think that african american is more offensive. I have never been to africa, i probably will never go there and I don't know anyone from africa. Look at the way africa is shown by the media, etc.



Look at Feed the Children, it portrays all blacks as poor and dying of diseases. Look at "Going tribal" and "National Geographic" it portrays blacks as uncivilized. I mean, there are women walking around with their breast hanging out. Kids being scarred with tattoos for the rest of their lives with sharp rocks, etc. I have never seen ANY good things about Africans in the media, never.Is the racial term "Black" offensive to people of African decent?
I am very offended by the term AA for several reasons.



I was black for almost 20 years before the PC term became

AA. Ummm OK is every person of color of African decent? No. they are not.



Am I ashamed to have ancestors from Africa? No I am not but I don't know that I have any either.



I have never been to Africa and have no desire to go there.



Throughout history people from all over the world have been enslaved by others. But, those that were taken were not forsaken and forgotten. Those kings and queens that we'' are so proud of claiming as out ancestors sold their people and never looked back. As for those that were taken no one ever went to look for them. What other race of people do have you ever heard of that has stood by for years without reclaiming what was there.



I personally am an American that is black.



Another thing that baffles me is that most of America has absolutely no idea how Africans disdain black people and honestly believe we have given them a bad name. Plain and simple, they cannot stand us and are confrontation whenever they can be unless you happen to be having your hair braided. then they "tut -tut" over you all day like you don't know they are talking about you.



In general I find the term condescending which I find to be ironic because I really believe that the term was coined with the best of intentions. But you know what is said about that.



Great question by the way. However, I am perplexed by your reasoning though. National Geographic is portraying tribes in a very primitive sense with intent. They are not civilized by our standards, nor do they want to be. I find there to be nothing offensive about that. I see them as a very proud group of people rooted in the ways that came long before them. The scarring and tattooing are symbols of beauty and strength to them.



Say it loud.... I'm Black and I'm Proud!
I don't like it when people say "black" or "white" to describe someone.



Most people would say I'm white, but I don't like being called that. I don't even know where all of my ancestors came from, I'm American, a mix.Is the racial term "Black" offensive to people of African decent?
Going tribal does not "portray" anything it offers a look a look at how some people still live as an educational observance, portrayal implies acting they are not acting. The staving children aren't acting either, and niether are the blacks I see on the news every night right here in the USA, there is a reason you don't see them "portrayed" positively, they rarely do anything positive.Is the racial term "Black" offensive to people of African decent?
dude!.... you're tripping! :) seriously.... you are.



If you are waiting for the media to show you anything positive on Africa or black people. you are going to be waiting a long time!



First of all, Africans.... despise you African-Americans (yes I used that term) As you descendants of slaves do not even deserve to carry the title "African"



Have you noticed that more African in the states are more cultured, hardworking and well mannered compared to you African Americans???? huh?



I was in the states last summer and its no wonder most white Americans just loath you guys!



The gross miseducation that slavery and the stigma of slavery has been inflicted on you guys is appalling but......... whats worse is,,,,, you guy let them(white people) always have the last word! ugh!



Besides, NOT all of Africa is poor and disease ridden you know. If you really want to learn about what Africa truly is like .... then GET OFF YOUR LAZY A.SS AND DO SOME RESEARCH YOURSELF!!!!!



I really loath people like you who wait for the media to educate you! geez! how dumb is that?

.





No offense to the other African Americans here but this dumb kid (and a host of others) need " to hear it as it is"



PS: STFU need to take his own advice and STFU! that racist PIG needs to stay out of this one.
no but all black people are different I prefer to be called black NOT African American becuz i'm not african
Of course, people who are NOT white are usually portrayed as savage or uncivilized. This serves a purpose. Now, what exactly is wrong with walking around without a shirt if you live in hot weather? weelllll, it does not conform to white anglo saxon sensibilities. The thing is, over time, nobody gives a flying f-v-ck what others think should or should not be.

No comments:

Post a Comment