Friday, January 27, 2012

What's good for getting into Herpetology?

Hello there! I know this is a long while away from me, but I would like to know some things.My name is Alannah, I'm 10 years old, and I would like to have a future career in herpetology.



Most girls my age are girly girls, and hate reptiles. But I'm honestly fascinated by reptiles and amphibians. I usually watch 'Animal Planet' and 'National Geographic Wild', rather than kid channels like 'Disney' or 'Nickelodeon'. I'm a straight A student, and have only had one B in my life. I love science and math, because I believe with good grades and an interest in science, I can get into a good college and become a scientist. At first I was wanting to do entomology, but then I changed my mind. I love animals, especially insects, reptiles, crocodilians, and amphibians, and I want a career where I can study or be around them.



I was thinking of specializing in the breeding section. Or course I'll have to study in genetics, ecology, zoology, wildlife biology, and then specialize in herpetology in some way, though I won't always get to work with them. I am prepared to spend about 4-10 years in college studying for this. So, after bugging you with my boring stuff, here are my questions!



1. What is the best college to go to for this? I was thinking of going to UF, since It's close to my hometown



2. Any other things I need to study in that I forgot?



3. How much would I make a year?What's good for getting into Herpetology?
Become a Herpetologist

Flag this photo



The Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, made news worldwide with his radical actions towards crocodiles and other reptiles, initiating a large number of kids who want to know how they can become a crocodile hunter too. It's not just crocodiles that Irwin cared for, it's a wide range of animals, and as a herpetologist, reptiles and amphibians become the focus. Yucky for some, but for others, it's like finding the frog prince.



Difficulty:ModerateInstructions



1

Know for certain that you are comfortable with all types of amphibians and reptiles. This doesn't mean you have to love them all, but certainly you can't adore frogs and be squeamish about snakes. They all fall under the umbrella of herpetology so you'll need to deal with them all at some point.



2

Decide what you would like to ultimately do as a herpetologist. With a herpetology background you can move in several different directions. Educate others, possibly in a zoo or media setting like Steve Irwin did, become involved in veterinary work or consider conservation as an area of specialization.



3

Research the field continually. It's essential to continue to understand these types of animals and there are many that still need to be thoroughly researched.



4

Find a college with a strong background in animal sciences, biology or zoology. These are the programs that you may enter to earn your degree and finding one with a dedicated program helps you with your specialized interest in herpetology.



5

Continue to work hard at all subjects in your schoolwork, but focus on math, science and language arts. These fundamentals are essential when you get into college coursework and are used daily in the life of a herpetologist regardless of the area of specialization you choose.



6

Be prepared to live in areas where herpetology is available. It may be difficult to be a herpetologist in Alaska where demand for them may be a little low, whereas in Arizona or Florida the availability of resources for herpetology is abundant.







Read more: How to Become a Herpetologist | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2066601_become-h鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment