Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Air National Guard, opinions on joining in my situation?

Okay, so I really wanted to be a soldier since I was little but having a kid sidetracked me and I went to college instead. I am still in college 1 1/2 - 2 years left, wife is in college with same time frame left, have a four year old son, and wife is having another boy mid-summer.



I wouldn't be able to go to BASIC until next summer most likely without creating a major bind on my wife, our child care, or educational situation. Financially things are getting tight but should be able to sustain as long as nothing big happens with/after the pregnacy.



We both really want to contain and finish our education, I am a Geography major, Anthropology minor, and working on a G.I.S. Certificate. I would really like some real life experience in the Geographic/GIS area. There are two locations in Montana about three hours away that are ANG, and I could commute the once a week no problem. They are the 120th Fighter Wing and the 219th Red Horse Squadron.



I was hoping to join the ANG, get the signing bonus as close to the $20,000 as possible, the tuition assistance, healthcare benefits as I am uninsured (wife and son are though), and the $150-$200 monthly check. I place a high priority on my family and want to make things better, not worse... would enlisting be a good option?Air National Guard, opinions on joining in my situation?
After 7 years in the ANG I think I can give you some good advice here.

You say you ahve always wanted to be in the military since you were a kid so your reasons for joining are valid and good. The extra income and benefits are nice too, but you have to want to be in to be successful, which it sounds like you do. The ANG will allow you to wait up to one year from date of enlistment to leave for BMT/Tech school. This means you would meet with recruiters and enlist June/July(depending on medical waivers, etc, if needed). You have until next summer to leave if you did this. You still attend monthly drill weekends before you go to BMT which is called the student flight. They teach you stuff about BMT and the Air Force which will greatly enhance your ability to do well in BMT. You get paid about $180 take home each drill up to BMT. You time in service towards your 6 years also starts the day you enlist, so you would be an E-3 for a year before going to BMT. When you get done with training, you will be able to put on E-4 very soon afterwards.

As far as your family situation.......you will have to be gone from them for your training period which all depends on what job you take as to how long this period is. You will miss tiem with them, but you will also be brining home about $1400 every two weeks, plus $250/month for family seperation allowance, which you DO get in BMT and tech school. Your family is also covered(for free) under health insurance during your active duty training time. Once you are back from training an part-time again in the ANG, full health insurance is $145/month for you and your family. Its TRICARE insurance so it is good stuff. My friend joined the ANG last year with 2 year old twin boys and a 5 year old girl and loves it. Its tough being away from family, but in the end, it is VERY worth it. You will maike money while learning a new skill and get the priviledge to serve this great country. It is a short 6 years and at that time, either stay in or get out and say thanks for the experience. I beleive you will find the ANG to be much different than how you think it will be, all this in a good way of course. I have helped a lot of people in the ANG, and not one has ever had anything but a tthank you to say to me. Email me if you are serious about joining. I will answer questions you and your wife may have and shoot it straight.
  • night cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment