Tuesday, February 7, 2012

What path(s) should I take in my life?

I'm turning 26 in a couple of days and although I'm feel better about myself than I've ever been in over a decade I really don't know what to do with my life.



My parents growing up were more preoccupied with their own martial problems than raising myself and my younger sister. Growing up I had shown small visages of success (in the form of academics, GREAT grades in Physical education at school, etc) but the vast majority of the time - 80% - I was was just "surviving". Getting to the next grade so that I can simply "keep up with society".



This trend continue through my undergrad years, simply surviving with "decent" grades yet I had suffered numerous personal and social blunders with my friends and fellow professional peers at my college (due to the social cues that I had "learned" in my childhood). They continue on today.



Now in the beginning of my adulthood I feel that if I continue the trend of the past I will not last long at all. I feel that I will simply be worn out before my 30s.



...Which brings me to the question: What kind of paths should I go? My question is leaning towards a professional career, but I will accept any serious answer(s).



For professions, as a kid ALL I wanted to be was in the military - Air Force or Navy in particular. That passion died out once I entered junior high and since then I have NOT had any passion for any career field. Sure I've wanted to be a (and for some still want to) journalist, teacher (I'm in a teaching program at the moment), National Geographic reporter, martial artist, etc. But circumstances such as family finances, lack of willpower, situations, etc prevented me from trying out any of these.



Back to the present; I feel like now I can only do what I NEED to do instead of what I want to do - the stuff to be a responsible, independent, and success adult and the things I want to do. The list for the latter appears to be shrinking by the month. What should I do?



ThanksWhat path(s) should I take in my life?
I am in a similar place as you, although I am 18. I think you should finish your teaching degree so at LEAST you have that. Then maybe find a job substituting or part time teaching. And once you get used to that see if you enjoy that, if its not fulfilling your happiness maybe look at other things you like- dig deep and find out who you really are. For me I grew up KNOWING I wanted to be a hairstylist, then my last year of highschool I wanted nothing to do with that, now I am looking into online colleges for photography. I guess you just have to guess what you will be into...sucks. I guess my advice to you is to just. Go against the grain and do what makes you happy, it'll be super hard once you try- but after a while you'll be wondering why you didn't do it sooner. I wish you the best of luck- always remember its okay to make mistakes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment