Saturday, February 4, 2012

Which is a better, more promising career: mechanical engineering or civil engineering?

I'm applying for the summer 2010 term in the California State Universities (San Fran, San Jose, and CalPoly Pomona) and I have been a little undecisive lately about what major I want to take. I know it's in the range of engineering and my first choice was mechanical engineering with electrical engineering as my alternative major. But lately, when I've given a lot of thought about it, mechanical engineering is something that is unfamiliar to me and something that I doubt will satisfy me (in terms of interest, effort to learn, and future career).





I found out that perhaps civil engineering would be right for me. I want to build things and maintain them. I was the type of kid that built cities/towns with legos, I played Caesar III and Pharaoh (computer games that designed cities), and watched numerous programs on Discovery and National Geographic that talked about topics on cities and its infrastructure (namely Cities of the Underworld, Megastructures, and documentaries on buildings and whatnot). The more I thought about it, the more it felt right for me.





I told my mother about my change in major (keep in mind, I haven't submitted my application yet) and she wasn't too happy about it. She said that my father took civil engineering as his first major and then changed it to mechanical engineering because he said that what he was learning was not specific (meaning they always changed topics and didn't focus on one thing). And then my mom mentioned that if I graduate with that major, there aren't that many people that will hire me because it's not a really good job and the US economy isn't going to be any better 4 years from now. She says she will refuse to pay my tuition if I choose Civil Engineering.





I really think civil engineering is right for me, but my mom is against it. I think she's worried that I will end up like my dad (took civil engineering and changed it to mechanical engineering, but ended up not finishing college). By the way, that time my father was in college, he was a foreign student and English was not his first language.





And I am really doubtful about my mother's assumptions about people not hiring me once I finish college; I read that you can work under a professional civil engineer (or an association or something like that) while studying.





Please give me more information about these two majors and careers before I make my decision (application deadline is Nov. 30, 2009).





Thank you for reading, your help would be much appreciated,





Nisa|||So many answers. I'll keep mine short. I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering, a BS in Architectural Studies, and an MS in Nuclear Engineering.





Civil engineers work, most often, in infrastructure -- roads, sanitary and storm sewers, bridges, etc. Mechanical engineers more often design machines; industrial processes involving large conveyors, mixers, dryers, etc.; and HVAC (heating, ventilating, air conditioning) systems for larger structures.





Civils are taught more about compacting dirt and sizing pipes, Mechanicals more about heat transfer and mechanisms like cams and followers. Mechanicals are jacks of all trades but masters of none -- they're taught at least a bit of everything. Both of these engineering specialties are important to our world, and they have approximately equal pay and "appreciation" scales. Neither is one of the "glamor" engineering specialties.





You mentioned electrical engineering. That, along with electronic and chemical engineering will be harder academically and get you higher pay when you're done. Chemical is arguably the hardest engineering major. Where I went to school the joke was "Well, if you wash out of chem engineering, you can always go across campus and just be a chemist."





All of these fields are usually required on any major project. They all need to work together, with minimal friction. Engineering managers are the people who ensure that happens. Besides being engineers themselves, engineering managers have something in common -- they all are good at communicating with their designers and with upper company management and clients. Critical to your advancement, regardless of the field you choose, is your ability to speak and write cogently.





In many engineering schools the first two years are co-listed core classes, you don't need to choose a specialty until after that or, at the least, you'll find changing engineering major during the first two years easier. Choose wisely, grasshopper. And be able to explain yourself both verbally and in writing.|||Your first job is credablity. Always.


What ever you decide ;once you comit , you must compleate.





Accreditation Search by program.


http://www.abet.org/AccredProgramSearch/鈥?/a>


$ helps.


good luck.|||Civil engineers are in a great demand recently.|||What matters is your area of interest. Job oppurtunities are galore all around. All that you need is hard work and dedication.


If you feel that Civil Engineering is good for you and you can build on your skills then just go ahead with it.


Good luck for a great future ahead.|||Any engineering is a great major. Of all the college grads, engineering of any kind is the easiest one to find a job. Mechanical probably is a little easier than civil though, just because there are more factories here and internationally to go to. But if you don't like it don't go into it, you will drop out if your heart isn't into it.





Show your mom this link from the Bureau of Labor about job prospects and salary for the foreseeable future, she might not be against it so much. Civil engineers are still needed, and is definitely more valuable than being a teacher or business major as far as getting a good starting job


http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm





According to the Bureau, civil engineers are needed more than mechanical engineers as time goes on. Plus , they say more are in employment than mechanical (news to me)|||Nisa,





You should pick what feels right to you. I am an Aerospace Engineering student myself, and aero is a subdivision of mechanical. I may be biased in my answer, but the average mechanical engineer "build things and maintain[s] them" probably more than the average civil, unless you include building the hundreds of thousands of miles of road being built everyday. Perhaps I should say that the average mechanical will probably build more unique things in their life time than the civil might. Just look at the Space Shuttle, satellites, rockets, missiles, cars, trucks, and every hundred or thousands of parts inside them. Mechanicals also design frames, composite beams(buildings and other structures), and a ridiculous variety of other things.





Now here's the kicker: While I'm completely biased toward mechanical or aerospace engineering, I find that I do more electrical engineering and programming than I do actually "building" something. But that is with any engineering field. There is a huge aspect to engineering that you must consider. You don't just go in and "build" a structure. No, first you design it, run analysis(programming and simulation), build a test model with sensors to test and compare actual to theoretical data(electrical engineering), and THEN, just then, assuming everything goes as planned, which it never does, you build your final model. Let's not forget about the financial issues with this...oh, I didn't tell you? You're also an accountant!





No matter what field you pick you will always cross over into other fields. Every engineer I know programs, whether they are mechanical, aero, computer, electrical or even civil. You have no option but to cross over into that field, in order to be a "great" engineer, you almost need to cross over into other fields. And on that note, I love to tell people, you have "good" engineers-the ones who go to class and get good grades, and you have "great" engineers-the ones who participate in clubs, activities, cross over into the other fields to expand their knowledge, AND learn the class material.





So first off, mechanicals build a heck of a lot more than you think-look at the computer you are using, the frame wasn't designed by an electrical engineer, it was designed by a mechanical, and that's what most people don't realize. There's also systems engineering...





2nd, pick what feels right to you. If your mom won't pay for college because you pick civil, then they have financial aid, grants, and scholarships of the like for people just like you.





3rd, your father is a bad example. So what, he's one person, he doesn't represent the entire nation, or the world for that matter. There are thousands if not a few million engineers in the country, civil, mechanical, and you name it, it's there.





4th, The economy didn't just die the second Obama became president, it takes time for an economy to fall and for an economy to rise. It's been going down for years. That hasn't kept me from getting four engineering internships in three years! The best thing about Civil Engineers is that the economy needs so many of them from everything from surveying to city development. Regardless of the economy's status, they need you. And hey, if anything, move to Huntsville, AL, we have a negative .5% unemployment rate for engineers right now since we're virtually unaffected by the economy due to the aerospace industry.





I hope that helps! :)|||Nisa,





Let us agree to the fact that, hiring shouldn't be a problem, as long as you are Engineer, no matter the discipling.





I think what you should now do is to know exactly what you want to do. From what you are saying I am afraid you mean Architect not even Civil, here u've a considerable differences.





I'm a mechanical Engineer and I've faced this choice before, actually Architect was my first choice (for the same reasonse you have said), but after I went through some book I,ve foud that this not what I really want to do.





I advise you to know more about the different Engineering discp. and only after that you can decide what to do.





And pls do not be afraid, work market changing every day, and you will never be able to predict the exact future trends after your graduation.





Just do ur best and I wish u a good luck!|||If you feel civil engineering is right for you, then it is right for you. There is nothing more miserable than working doing something you don't care for. Work is not work, when you are passionate about it.





The advantage of civil engineers over mechanical engineers is that civil engineering jobs are hard to outsource. They need local engineer working on local projects. Additionally, you'll have a better shot to work with the government. In fact, the USA infrastructure needs overhauling and there will be public fund flowing in for infrastructure.





Conversely, Mechanical engineer can be easily outsourced and the fact is that manufacturing in the USA has been in decline for the past 25 years.





I really feel sorry that your mom tell you that she'll refuse to pay tuition if you don't study what she wants. I personally think that is a shame. If I were you, I wouldn't think it twice if I felt that civil engineering was right for me. There many ways to pay for tuition, don't be discourage by that. Tell mom that she will strain your relationship with you if she do not oblige. You know, this is about you life and livelihood. Just because you dad was quitter it does not mean you will be a quitter. She doesn't have the right to make such argument|||Well as an undergrad Civil Engineer at Cal Poly Pomona I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with Civil Engineering. If you want a good,stable, rewarding career Civil is the way to go. Cal Poly Pomona has an especially good program for Civil Engineering and has the largest amount of CE majors in the country.(Around 1300 or so) I enjoy doing Civil and can't see myself doing any other type of Engineering. I actually use to be a Computer Science major, and changed because I didn't like it very much, and thought Civil would be better for me. You'll also have no problem finding a job once you graduate as a Civil Engineer but just make sure you take your FE exam and pass, so you can be an Engineer-In-Training. Just keep in mind that its what YOU want to do, and your dad (just like my dad actually, is a foreigner also, and dropped out of Civil Engineering because of his lack of English as well as the schools bad Civil Engineering Program--Cal State Fullerton = not an engineering school) had it harder doing an engineering degree because of the disadvantages he had. Just make sure that whatever school you choose has a good engineering program overall, and particularly a good Civil Engineering Program(lets say Cal Poly San Luis Obispo or Cal Poly Pomona-the 2 best Civil Engineering Schools in California in my opinion because of their "hand on approach" rather than a regular Universities Theory based lectures). Remember that Engineering is not easy no matter what field your doing, and requires a great deal of math(Calculus/Differential Equations),physics(Vectors/Dynamics/Flui鈥?and maybe a little chem, so make sure you can handle these subjects because its VITAL to your upper division courses. All in all Civil Engineering is a great opportunity to explore how the world is built from the ground up, and I feel proud to be in a major where you can one day contribute in such a great way to society. I say go for it and follow your dreams! : )|||I was taking up BS Applied Economics and Accountancy last year (first year in college) then I shifted to Civil Engineering this academic year without telling my father who wants me to become a CPA Lawyer. After becoming a dean's lister during the first trimester, I showed him my grades in Eco-Acct and compared it with my grades in CE. (our school year starts at May and we follow the trimestral system) He was impressed because I got above 90% average grade in CE while I only had below 80% average in Eco-Acct. Because of that he accepted my decision. I PLANNED THIS SINCE I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL because I can't stop my father.





You can't do the same trick since ME and CE has the same freshmen subjects. Comparing the degrees while you're in freshmen is really nothing. I think... you should kneel to your mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment