Wednesday, February 1, 2012

PLEASE HELP: I just need some advice, I know a lot of people have gone through this before..?

I'm a freshman in college, I'm taking up Physical Therapy because my dad forced me into it and at first I was really upset because when I was a kid, I've always been good at drawing, painting, sculpting so I thought that maybe that's what God wants me to do with my life (I'm Catholic) so when I got into my dream university, my dad forced me to go to another university which is lower than my dream university but it's pretty known for medicine, I think it's just lower cause my dream uni offers a lot of courses and the campus is bigger, whereas in my current school, the campus looks like a high school because we only offer a few courses, we only offer Medicine, Physical Therapy, Nursing, Prosthetics %26amp; Orthodontics etc. you get the idea, medical stuff, and we have a hospital across the street. So, I was upset at first but I got used to it, and anatomy%26amp;zoology are my favorite subjects and the subjects I THOUGHT I'd be interested in like sociology%26amp; psychology (they're kind of related to art, since art in a way effects how we feel %26amp; how we think right?) I find them my LEAST favorite subjects because they're so, I don't wanna say simple because when I compare psychology to anatomy, I feel like it doesnt need that much effort.So I'm thinking, maybe fate/God (since I really believe in stuff like that) wants me to become a doctor? And if I do become a doctor, I don't wanna just stop there, I feel like I'd want to become a neuro surgeon and study molecular biology %26amp; biotechnology on the side. My best friend is taking up a lot of art subjects at her school like fashion, I just found it so boring! I don't find it challenging at all.



Then, alright I'm interested in biology, but I just find myself getting interested in everything! I was watching a documentary on soy beans for two hours and I was totally into it! Now I just wanna give soybeans the respect it deserves. After the documentary, there was a special on the marina bay sands, the engineering %26amp; architectural aspects of it, my dad is an engineer so before I went to college, I tried reading and studying a lil something about engineering, and I got into that too.Last month, national geographic has a space month special and last month...BEST MONTH EVER! Everyday that month I looked forward to learning more,and when I was about 3 years old I wanted to become an astronaut, so I was reading all these books on space, how the weather is like in mars, what kind of training astronauts go through, then my dad busted my dreams and told me it's too hard and that I could never do it. Then I went diving when I was 14 and I got so into Marine Biology, then I had an identity crisis and I just wanted to get into acting because I'd be able to play different people.



I'm just super confused, I don't know where my place is and where I'm supposed to be. All I know is I don't like being 'conventional' (correct me if I'm using this word wrong) like, in 10 years, a lot of people probably wanna be married with kids, but that just doesn't appeal to me, and if I do have kids an a nice home, I'd want a secret laboratory underground.PLEASE HELP: I just need some advice, I know a lot of people have gone through this before..?
I wish I had a chance to do it all over. PT is a good field, but I think saturated. I think you don't have to be half as smart to do PT as to be some sort of doctor, especially surgeon. I was in PT program so I know that avg to even below avg students were attempting it, my dad knows, he was the chemistry teacher for the basic chem 101/102 requirements to get into the program. I have also had a lot of PT from awful PTs so I really kind of hate the field. I am getting the feeling that you love to learn and are probably very smart, if so I would aim higher than PT, medicine, biotechnology, the field is HUGE now. Stem cell research, drugs, etc, tons of stuff has yet to be treated and cured, even things like tendon injuries so I hope someone like you who is driven and motivated can study bioscience and really go somewhere with it and leave PT for the zillion other folks doing it because they think it would pay well and they know they can't hack med school. Your school should have a career counselor as well that might help focus you more and give you materials to see career options and also you can do research online and maybe try to talk to people in different fields to see what doing their job is like and trying to envision yourself in that. To be a surgeon, are you the type of person that had no problem doing dissections in biology class, would opening up a person and cutting into their insides excite you or make you want pass out? I'm assuming in college anatomy class you do some much more heavy duty work on dead bodies so that might help you figure things out more. Do you want work directly on a person or do you want be the person doing the research in a lab coming up with the tools that doctors could use in the future? Like PT is very one on one with people. Do you like to work with people or would you rather be more alone in lab with test tubes and microscopes? Maybe you have a favorite teacher that can offer some ideas, is there a teacher that thinks highly of you that might have aspirations for you? I know I did and I let those teachers down.



So I say go for what you really want do, you seem to know which classes you like so I think really you DO KNOW and you maybe just are afraid of going against what your dad wants, but like what dad wouldn't want their smart kid to become a doctor? And if you are a woman, please become a doctor, gosh we still have few women doctors and they tend go for pediatrics, so go for neurosurgeon or researcher with PhD, just do it!
Maybe you can take a little time off and try to figure out what you want to do.PLEASE HELP: I just need some advice, I know a lot of people have gone through this before..?
It's okay to be confused and not know what you want to be. I am the same. I have lots of interests and used to change my mind every 5 minutes. I always look at what other people are achieving and then want to become like them. But, lately I have realised that I just need to stick to something and do my own thing. I just finished my degree and I have found a research area that I am interested in so much! So bottom line (without rambling on about myself) is that you should choose something that you enjoy and are good at and stick to it for a good while. You can also have a hobbie on the side. For example mine is learning different languages.PLEASE HELP: I just need some advice, I know a lot of people have gone through this before..?
I'm not sure what it is you are asking? You really rambled didn't you? I read the whole thing and yes you are confused but what do you want from us?
Do what you like. I've always had an interest in science (mainly biology), but when i tried Physics i hated it. I used to like math alot and im still good at it but it's really boring. Its going to take a long time to become a doctor and if your up for it it's a good choice. Just don't fool around too much and stay on topic! have fun

No comments:

Post a Comment